Government College of Education, Jalandhar is a torch bearer of teacher education in Northern India.
This college, a premier institution, originally set up in 1882 at Lahore, was known as Central Training College. After partition the college was shifted to Jalandhar in December 1947.
The College started with B.T degree with 87 boys and 7 girls on roll. O.T was started in 1957 and J.B.T in 1962. Integrated B.Ed course commenced from 1966 onwards. As a result of increasing demand M.Ed was started in 1955. In February 1956 extension service department was attached to this college. This department made immense contribution towards in-service teacher education. In keeping with the spirit of the times, an Adult Education Squad was formed to spread literacy. For several years evening classes were also conducted for M.Ed. With the start of distance education, the college hosted a number of personal contact programs for various universities. It also remained a study centre for IGNOU for many years. The college was upgraded as IASE under the centrally sponsored scheme in 1987-88.
The college provides all essential facilities and has a well-developed infrastructure. It provides congenial environment for learning and develops positive attitude towards research. The college is proud to have well qualified, competent and excellent teacher educators. Students prefer to join this prestigious institutions not only due to financial consideration but also due to its high repute in the area of teacher education.